[MITgcm-support] exf_albedo : exf package

Hazel, Julia jhazel at atmos.ucla.edu
Wed Oct 5 13:05:13 EDT 2016

Hi-

My name is Julia Hazel and I’m a PhD student in Physical Oceanography at UCLA.  I’m using the mitgcm to simulate the Weddell Sea around Antarctica.  I was wondering how the parameter exf_albedo is set - whether it’s the albedo of the sea surface, or if it is supposed to be an average albedo of the ocean surface (whether covered with sea ice or not)?

The Weddell is covered with sea ice throughout most of the year, which would make it’s average surface albedo .8(due to sea ice) versus ocean water (~.1)

I am using the sea ice package, where I realize the sea ice albedos are used.  But I’m still getting too high surface temperatures in my model runs, and I’m wondering if my choice of exf_albedo could be to blame.

Thank you,

Julia