[MITgcm-support] 32-bit diagnostic output

Jean-Michel Campin jmc at mit.edu
Tue Oct 4 09:10:17 EDT 2016

Hi Neil,

The precision (32-bit or 64 bit) of pkg/diagnostics output file
is, by default, set according to writeBinaryPrec (that you can set in main
parameter file "data", 1rst namelist, default value is 32).
This is just to confirm Anthony's response.

But you can also specify (overwrite the default) the precision of
pkg/diagnostics output file on a per output file basis, in data.diagnostics:
to select 64 bit output:
  fileName(1) = 'surfDiag',
 fileFlags(1) = 'D       ',
(see example in verification/tutorial_deep_convection/input/data.diagnostics
or 32 bit output:
  fileName(2) = 'shap_shot',
 fileFlags(2) = 'R       ',
But I agree that this "fileFlag" setting is not well documented and should
be improved.

Cheers,
Jean-Michel