[MITgcm-support] Horizontal component of the Coriolis force

Bertrand Louis Rene Delorme bdelorme at stanford.edu
Mon Nov 21 21:35:42 EST 2016

Hi,
First, a huge thank to the MITgcm community for providing such fast and accurate answers to the issues users are facing.
In my case, I would like to run an experiment without the traditional approximation, i.e. accounting for the horizontal component of the Coriolis force (or cosinus-of-latitude Coriolis term). Based on the MITgcm User Manual, I thought that I would just need to turn on the flag “quasiHydrostatic”. However, I cannot find any routine where this boolean is called and thus do not understand very well what it does. Yet, I found another boolean, “use3dCoriolis”, which seems to do what I want but this boolean does not appear in the User Manual. Would someone have any precisions on the implications, differences and similarities of “quasiHydrostatic” and “use3dCoriolis”?
Thank you,
Bertrand