[MITgcm-support] build errors for llc_1080

Ryan Abernathey ryan.abernathey at gmail.com
Wed Nov 16 07:06:34 EST 2016

Hi,

I'm trying to build the llc_1080 configuration on our local cluster by
following these instructions from Dimitris:
http://mitgcm.org/viewvc/MITgcm/MITgcm_contrib/llc_hires/llc_1080/readme.txt?revision=1.9&view=markup

For my rootdir, I am using the latest fresh checkout of MITgcm from cvs.
(Maybe this is my mistake.)

I am hitting errors at the build step due to incompatibilities in
code_async. For example:
mpiifort -WB -convert big_endian -assume byterecl -O3 -align -march=corei7
-axAVX  -c asyncio_write_fld_xym_rl.f
asyncio_write_fld_xym_rl.f(3875): error #6219: This variable, used in a
specification expression, must be a dummy argument, a COMMON block object,
or an object accessible through host or use association.   [MULTDIM]
      Real*8 field(1-Olx:sNx+Olx,1-Oly:sNy+Oly,MULTDIM,nSx,nSy)
-----------------------------------------------^
asyncio_write_fld_xym_rl.f(3875): error #6404: This name does not have a
type, and must have an explicit type.   [MULTDIM]

I fixed this by changing MULTDIM to SEAICE_multDim. But then I hit another
error

mpiifort -WB -convert big_endian -assume byterecl -O3 -align -march=corei7
-axAVX  -c write_pickup.f
write_pickup.f(2334): error #6404: This name does not have a type, and must
have an explicit type.   [USEDYNP_INEOS_ZC]
       IF ( useDynP_inEos_Zc ) THEN
------------^

I saw that the llc_4320 code_async directory has some more recent
modifications:
http://mitgcm.org/viewvc/MITgcm/MITgcm_contrib/llc_hires/llc_4320/code-async/
which presumably fix these errors.

Can I safely use  llc_4320/code_async for llc_1080? If not, can you suggest
how to to update the code to be compatible with recent version of MITgcm?
Alternatively, maybe you recommend using an earlier checkpoint?

Whatever the case, I thought I would check with the experts before trying
to plow through on my own.

Thanks,
Ryan