[MITgcm-support] balance OBCS correction

Martin Losch Martin.Losch at awi.de
Wed May 18 11:23:30 EDT 2016

Qian,

the best option is alway to balance the flow offline, i.e. before you
give it to the model. In that way you have full control over the
balancing period (say, a full year). For that you need to be careful to
compute the correct fluxes. They have to include the appropriate hFacW
(for u-flux) and hFacS (for v-Flux). There have been several similar
questions about this, where people have answered with more details, so
I'll let you search the archive for this and will not repeat the flux
computations here.

The OBCSbalance option is for convenience and works as you said every
time step so that mean seasonal signals are suppressed. OBCS has so far
no code to balance the flow for longer time scales. How would you do it
in a general way? You'd have to read the data for a full year and then
manipulate it, or compute the mean of the current year/season/day and,
as an approximation, substract it from the next period of interest,
possibly taking into account pickup files etc. Too complicated, so we
dropped this project, because (as I said in the beginning) you can do
this offline.

the maskInC/W/S do not differ from the surface layer of maskC/W/S except
that the open boundary points and all points beyond the open boundaries
are masked out (=0). It's OK to use 2D masks, because the velocity
fields are masked elsewhere by the 3D masks (well, hFacW/S) anyway.

Martin