[MITgcm-support] Errors occured on tutorial global oce optim

Tian Jiacheng jctian at pku.edu.cn
Tue May 17 04:02:02 EDT 2016

Dear MITgcm users,

I am beginning to learn how to use MITgcm model recently and trying to
reproduce the examples in the manual. But some errors occurred and I
would like to ask for some help.

I tried to follow the compiling instructions of the Global Ocean State
Estimation(3.18 on manual). It mentions that two files must be updated
but I don't know how to do this. Also, the directory /build_ad//
mentioned in the manual does not exist. I tried to compile in /build/
/and two error occurred.

make[1]: staf: Command not found
Makefile:1909: recipe for target 'ad_taf_output.f' failed
make[1]: *** [ad_taf_output.f] Error 127
make[1]: Leaving directory
'/home/michael/MITgcm/verification/tutorial_global_oce_optim/build'
Makefile:1888: recipe for target 'ad_exe_target' failed
make: *** [ad_exe_target] Error 2

I haven't read the content after chapter 3 so I want to know whether I
can have an answer in the following content. As I'm a geology
undergraduate, some parts may be too difficult to understand now. But
I'll try and hope you can give me some advice on learning MITgcm.

Many thanks!

Tian Jiacheng
School of Earth and Space Science
Peking University