[MITgcm-support] pressure field from PHIHYD

Martha Buckley marthabuckley at gmail.com
Wed May 4 11:53:59 EDT 2016

Thanks Matt!  Bummer that it is not straightforward, but it makes me feel a
bit better about asking!
Right now I am doing some pretty basic comparisons of the deep circulation
in ecco_v4 to observations and models (seen in Gary et al, 2011).  So I'll
stick to the first guess, and then refine things later.

I'll see you at the ECCO meeting in a few weeks!
Martha

On Wed, May 4, 2016 at 11:31 AM, Matthew Mazloff <mmazloff at ucsd.edu> wrote:

> Hi Martha
>
> See Montgomery potential section on page 35 of
> http://scor-int.org/Publications/Thermophysical_Manual_09Jan09.pdf
>
> Its not completely straightforward, however, so if you want to compare to
> an observational estimate you may want to generate P, where P = -g*rC
> + PHIHYD, and then copy the method used by the estimate you are trying to
> reproduce….
>
> Matt
>

> On May 4, 2016, at 8:10 AM, Martha Buckley <marthabuckley at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>

> I want to plot pressure on a given isopynal, and to be comparable to other
> papers (particularly observational estimates), I want to plot the full
> pressure field (with the depth dependence).   How do I do this using
> PHIHYD? I am using r* coordinates.
>
> Lets say for simplicity I have a profile of PHIHYD. Also rhoconst
> (constant density), RC (cell centered depths), and g (gravity).
>
> Panom=PHIHYD*rhoconst;
> P=Panom+(g*rhoconst*-1*mygrid.RC)
>
> Is this correct?  Or does a term involving SSH needed to be added back on
> too?  I thought PHIHYD was the full dynamic part of hydrostatic pressure,
> but the manual indicates there is a surface term as well.
> thanks,
> Martha
>

> thanks,
> Martha