[MITgcm-support] Viscosity

Martin Losch Martin.Losch at awi.de
Tue Mar 15 05:59:00 EDT 2016

Hi Ada,

your viscosity needs to depend on the time step to ensure stability. Even if you set it manually (via viscAh), you’ll need to take stability criteria (and deltaT) into account. Having said that, at that resolution you can probably get away with constant viscosity, i.e. viscAh = some value that you can estimate based on cfl and boundary current resolution requirements, see e.g., <http://mitgcm.org/public/r2_manual/latest/online_documents/node115.html>, section 3.9.2.1 Numerical Stability Criteria for details. Alternatively you can compute what vischAhGrid=0.1 gives you and use the average for your grid. There will always be some tuning required.

M.