[MITgcm-support] Quick Question about Setting OBCS

kaveh Purkiani kavehpurkiani at googlemail.com
Tue Jun 14 16:56:25 EDT 2016

Hi Benjamin,

0 mean close boundary, 1 means open and -1 also for northern nd eastern
boundary means open boundary.
You could use instead of putting -1, use the number of Nx/Ny.
I assume   you have Nx,Ny,Nz as 120x144x80.

On Tue, Jun 14, 2016 at 9:53 PM, Benjamin Ocampo <rurik at ualberta.ca> wrote:

> Hi All:
>
> So I am having some confusion about the following set up regarding
> OBCS_PARM01 in data.obcs for my model.
>
> Suppose I have a 120x144x80 grid with the following set up:
>
> OB_Ieast = 120*1,
> OB_Iwest = 1*0,
> OB_Jnorth = 144*-1,
> OB_Jsouth = 1*1,
>

> i)   Are the indices referenced correctly in this current set-up?

It depends what you want to prescribe.

> ii)  What do the numbers associated with the indices (eg -1,0,1) indicate?

0 mean close boundary, 1 means open and For convenience, negative values
for Jnorth/Ieast refer to points relative to the Northern/Eastern edges of
the model eg.
I assume that you have Nx,Ny,Nz as 120x144x80 and want to have all open
boundaries:

OB_Ieast = 144*-1 or 144*120,
OB_Iwest = 144*1,
OB_Jnorth = 120*-1 or 120*144,