[MITgcm-support] changing from a fixed temperature to fixed heat flux as a boundary condition

Julian Mak j.mak at ed.ac.uk
Wed Jan 6 15:19:33 EST 2016

Dear all,

I am quite new to using MITgcm and have been trying to implement
something in a channel; this question is about implementing boundary
conditions and it seems like it should be a fairly trivial thing to do
but I am still a bit confused, so any help would be appreciated.

Set up: re-entrant channel in x, walls on y, z being vertical, to mimic
a part of the ACC. Surface and northern boundary is relaxed to some
specified temperature profile (no salinity here) using the "rbcs"
package with appropriate masking and short-ish restoring time.

Problem: Change over to a Neumann condition on both the surface and
northern boundary, to specify the heat flux instead of the temperature
instead. Rationale is that a Dirichlet condition specifying the
temperature pins the ends of the isotherms and we would like to relax
this, so the eddies have more freedom to move the isotherms around. The
idea would be to diagnose the heat flux from the Dirichlet condition
runs (I checked today that "TFLUX", "Trelax" and "surForcT" all give me
the same thing***) and put it back in as the boundary conditions for the
Neumann runs.

So I can see changing over to the surface one is fairly trivial, by
specifying surfQfile. The northern one though is stumping me: I am
thinking I probably need to hack "rbcs" and do something to add the
tendencies in accordingly? I just thought there would be an easier way
to do this, or I may have missed something obvious? I know there are
other implementations to relax the pinning on the isotherms on the
northern boundary but a flux condition seems like it should be easy to
put in.

Thanks for your time,
Julian

*** I am not entirely clear on what the differences and relations
relations between "TFLUX", "Trelax", "surForcT" and "oceQnet" are, even
after reading a previous archived e-mail on this, so if someone could
clarify I would be thankful. I think I understand why the first three
are the same in this case (although I am guessing the relation). These
quantities are presumably different if restoring is not used on its own
or at all, and when salinity is involved (so "oceQnet" would be
something like "TFLUX" + "SFLUX" + ... ?)

--
Julian Mak,
School of Mathematics,
e-mail: j.mak at ed.ac.uk
tel: +44 131 650 5040
www: https://sites.google.com/site/julianclmak/home

Scotland, with registration number SC005336.