[MITgcm-support] funky ice dynamics in doubly periodic domain

Jean Mensa jean.mensa at yale.edu
Mon Feb 22 23:22:25 EST 2016

Hi all,
I have a doubly periodic high resolution simulation forced with ECMWF
atmospheric forcing (forcings.png) running the seaice pkg with VP rheology.
Thermodynamics variables look good (ice.png) but ice velocity does
something funky and I am not sure why. During summer season ice thickness
is minimum (H_I) and concentration low (A_I) and ice dynamics seems to be
driven by wind stress. This is all good and fine except that during winter
ice velocity (S_I) seems to converge to some constant value decoupling from
wind stress. This does not seem right to me. Is that an artifact of the
doubly periodic configuration? Notice that the simulation runs fine and
gives no failed convergence warnings.
Thanks,
Jean

data.seaice,