[MITgcm-support] Diagnostic Statistics - Single Value Output

Benjamin Ocampo rurik at ualberta.ca
Fri Feb 19 13:32:32 EST 2016

Hi All:

I am trying to work with the diagnostic package and
I am able to successfully use the diagnostic statistics
file to output values at each individual z-grid point using
the code below:

 &DIAGNOSTICS_LIST
#  Empty
 &

# Parameter for Diagnostics of per level statistics:
# #-----------------
# # for each output-stream:
# #  stat_fname(n) : prefix of the output file name (only 8.c long) for
outp.stream n
# #  stat_freq(n):< 0 : write snap-shot output every |stat_freq| seconds
# #               > 0 : write time-average output every stat_freq seconds
# #  stat_phase(n)    : write at time = stat_phase + multiple of |stat_freq|
# #  stat_region(:,n) : list of "regions" (default: 1 region only=global)
# #  stat_fields(:,n) : list of diagnostics fields (8.c) (see
"available_diagnostics.log"
# #                 file for the list of all available diag. in this
particular config)
# #-----------------
 &DIAG_STATIS_PARMS
#  - an example just to check the agreement with MONITOR output:
  stat_fields(1,1)= 'UVEL    ',
   stat_fname(1)= 'dynuvel',
   stat_freq(1)= 500.,
   stat_phase(1)= 0.,
  stat_fields(1,2)= 'VVEL    ',
   stat_fname(2)= 'dynvvel',
   stat_freq(2)= 500.,
   stat_phase(2)= 0.,
  stat_fields(1,3)= 'WVEL    ',
   stat_fname(3)= 'dynwvel',
   stat_freq(3)= 500.,
   stat_phase(3)= 0.,
  stat_fields(1,4)= 'THETA    ',
   stat_fname(4)= 'dynvtheta',
   stat_freq(4)= 500.,
   stat_phase(4)= 0.,
 &

My question is:

Is there a way to reduce the output of a variable to say
two per snapshot (mean and standard deviation) without
using the STDOUT file (as it contains too much information
and is too large)?

For example, if I sum all theta values in all (x,y,z) spatial
grid-points and divide it by Nx*Ny*Nr for a particular
snapshot, I get a spatially averaged theta value of
say 50C and some standard deviation associated with it
(though for the purposes of my research, I can ignore it
for the time being). Am I able to output a single spatially
averaged diagnostic value for each snapshot without
outputting statistics for each z-grid points for all Nr points
either by using the diagnostic package or by using another
method during the execution of the code?

Cheers,
Benjamin