[MITgcm-support] only eta as open boundary ?

kaveh Purkiani kavehpurkiani at googlemail.com
Mon Feb 1 15:18:36 EST 2016

Dear Michel,

Thank you for your reply.

As you mentioned it is possible to calculate flow if one uses Orlanski.
As far as I understood from the code, applying Orlanski with nonlinFreeSurf
is not yet possible. So, is it then possible to force the model with only
eta (to calculate velocity field) ?

Applying similar way as it is mentioned in the link you introduced, to
convert eta to bartropic velocity, forcing with barotropic velocities,
model works and all BCs are applied to the domain. While, using only
OB(W,E,N,S)eta at BCs is not applied to domain. It shows only identical
values at edges as they are introduced to the BCs.

 I modified data name-list with Martin's hint:

 implicitFreeSurface=.TRUE.,
 exactConserv=.TRUE.,
 nonlinFreeSurf=4,
 select_rStar=2,
 hFacInf=0.2,
 hFacSup=2.0,
 hFacMin=0.2,

and data.obcs:
useOBCSprescribe = .TRUE.,
OB(N,S,W,E)etaFile = ...

In attached you see eta values at 3 different points, blue line (mid
domain), red (western boundary) and white (eastern boundary).

regards,

Kaveh.