[MITgcm-support] strange mnc behavior

Ruth Musgrave rmusg at mit.edu
Sun Dec 4 18:43:23 EST 2016

Hi Ryan,

thanks for the fast reply.

You are right - this was the problem, but for some reasonably non-obvious reasons (to me). The issue was that even though I was relying on the diagnostics package for my output, the simulation was still dumping state variables occasionally, and one of the state variables is a file named phiHyd*.nc. My data.diagnostics named my pressure output file PHIHYD*.nc. When the model went to dump state variables, it checked to see if phiHyd*.nc was present in the directory. I guess that something, somewhere is not case sensitive, and so it found my diagnostics output which has differently named dimensions (“Zmd000020" rather than “Z”), causing the fatal error and killing my run. The problem went away when I output all of my diagnostics into one file because it had a unique name (“outs_3D*”).

Morals of the story:
1. calling your diagnostics output by the same name as one of the model’s state files is dangerous
2. don’t combine state and diagnostic output (this was just me being careless)

I’ve now set "dumpFreq=0." in my data file, which allows me to continue to live dangerously (I still get a fatal error at the end of the simulation, but I can live with that).

Thanks for your help,

Ruth