[MITgcm-support] Shelf Ice Melt Rate

Daniel Goldberg dngoldberg at gmail.com
Fri Dec 2 13:36:02 EST 2016

hello julia

not sure what you mean by "printed out the shelf ice parameters" if you are
using the diagnostics package along with shelfice, the diagnostic SHIfwFlx
gives melt rate in kg water equivalent per second, negative where melting.
this update would be in data.diagnostics, not data.shelfice...

(total melt rate then is of course found by integrating over the ice shelf
area.)

dan

On Fri, Dec 2, 2016 at 4:49 PM, Hazel, Julia <jhazel at atmos.ucla.edu> wrote:

> Hello-
> I’m having trouble understanding how to compute the total melt rate under
> the ice shelves given the output parameters in the shelf ice package.  I’ve
> read the literature on how the melt is computed via the heat conservation
> and salt conservation equations, but I’m still puzzled as to how to
> calculate it given the model output.
> I’ve printed out the shelf ice parameters.
> Any guidance would be greatly appreciated.
> Thank you
> Julia Hazel

Daniel Goldberg, PhD
Lecturer in Glaciology
School of Geosciences, University of Edinburgh
Geography Building, Drummond Street, Edinburgh EH8 9XP

em: D <dgoldber at mit.edu>an.Goldberg at ed.ac.uk
web: http://ocean.mit.edu/~dgoldberg