[MITgcm-support] Sea ice initial conditions in MITgcm

Menemenlis, Dimitris (329C) Dimitris.Menemenlis at jpl.nasa.gov
Sat Aug 27 06:52:20 EDT 2016

Hi Jianfen, it’s best to address MITgcm support questions to the mitgcm-support at mitgcm.org<mailto:mitgcm-support at mitgcm.org> list.
Initial sea ice conditions for MITgcm can be obtained from many different locations
One possibility is PIOMAS, as you suggest.

Cheers, Dimitris

On Aug 27, 2016, at 12:18 AM, weijianfen1988 at 163.com<mailto:weijianfen1988 at 163.com> wrote:

Hello, Professor Menemenlis,

I am a student from Nanjing University of Information Science and Technology (NUIST), China. I am not very clear about the sea ice initial conditions (including initial sea ice concentration, thickness and velocity) in the MITgcm. Are they from the dataset of PIOMAS (Pan-Arctic Ice-Ocean Modeling and Assimilation System)? If so, is the climatology or data at a particular year used to define the sea ice initial condition? I hope you can help me about this question. Thank you very much.

Best wishes,

Jianfen Wei
School of Marine Sciences, Nanjing University of Information Science and Technology (NUIST)