[MITgcm-support] sponge limited to one process?

Sherry schou at hawaii.edu
Thu Aug 18 02:48:36 EDT 2016

Hi all,

I am setting up a sponge layer on the eastern boundary of a 2D
configuration through making changes to data.obcs (following instructions
of the manual).
The problem I have is when the number of points in one tile (on one
process) is less than the number of points in the sponge (i.e. sNx <
spongeThickness). In this case the sponge will start suddenly in the last
tile, instead of farther away from the eastern boundary according to
spongeThickness. This changes the extent of the sponge, as well as the
value of Urelaxobcsbound at the beginning of the sponge.

I've been getting around this problem by using a smaller number of
parallel-processes, or by making the xgrid coarser in the sponge so that it
can fit into one tile. But I was wondering if this is a real problem or
maybe I'm doing something wrong in my set-up.

Thanks for reading!

Sherry Chou
University of Hawaii