[MITgcm-support] cheapAML + global_oce_llc90

Gus Correa gus at ldeo.columbia.edu
Tue Aug 9 15:28:13 EDT 2016

Dear MITgcm pros

Our group wants to run the MITgcm global_oce_llc90 configuration
forced through the cheapAML package.

There is little documentation on the cheapAML and the verification
example is too simple to be of help (one-level box model,
analytic formula winds, no input files other than bathymetry).

We read Deramble et al. cheapAML article, but it doesn't
go into the nitty-gritty details of model setup that we need.
http://ocean.fsu.edu/~bderembl/pub/cheapaml_mwr.pdf

Questions:

1) Do the cheapAML input files (Uwind, Vwind,
downwelling shortwave, etc) need to be regridded to the LLC90 grid,
or can they be lat-lon files?
[This may be wishful thinking ...]

2) More realistically, if regridding to LLC90 is needed,
are there any tools available for that?
[I looked at the gcmfaces package, but it is unclear if it will do it
and how.]

3) Is there anybody that has ran the cheapAML along with a
realistic global ocean,
even if on a lat-lon grid (say, global_ocean.90x40x15),
who could give us some clues on how to get started?

Any suggestions are appreciated.

Many thanks
Gus Correa
LDEO