[MITgcm-support] Energy conversion diagnostics for ECCO-type LLC/CS grids

Christopher Pitt Wolfe c.l.p.wolfe at icloud.com
Mon Apr 25 13:38:03 EDT 2016

Hi All:

Does anyone know if there’s a “standard” way to calculate baroclinic and barotropic energy conversion terms for models like ECCO which uses lat/lon/cap or cubed-sphere grids? I’m particularly interested in the forms of these terms referred to as T2 and T4 by Beckmann et al. (JGR 1994, doi: 10.1029/94JC01654) where T2 is the horizontal eddy density flux dotted into the mean density gradient and T4 is the horizontal eddy momentum flux contracted with the mean rate-of-strain tensor. I’ve been hacking together something on my own, but I keep getting tripped up by the changes in the orientation of the basis vectors as you move between grid faces. Since the CS grid has been around for a while, I was hoping someone had already figured out how to do it.

If anyone has any tips, please let me know.
Thanks,
Christopher

Christopher L. P. Wolfe
Assistant Professor
School of Marine and Atmospheric Sciences
Stony Brook University
christopher.wolfe at stonybrook.edu <mailto:christopher.wolfe at stonybrook.edu>             631-632-3152