[MITgcm-support] seaice pkg ith coupled atmosphere

Martin Losch Martin.Losch at awi.de
Tue Sep 15 03:05:29 EDT 2015

Hi Eirin,

since no-one else answered, you’ll have to live with my incomplete answer.

For the seaice package you still need a “fixed” atmosphere. I suppose you mean a prescribed atmosphere that does not dynamically interact with the surface.
As far as I know, the atmospheric packages that are part of the MITgcm all use the thermodynamics of “pkg/thsice”, i.e. you’d have a sea ice model, but without dynamics (ice velocities), see the aquaplanet papers by Ferreira, Rose and others, e.g.
Ferreira, D., Marshall, J. and Rose, B. (2011) Climate determinism revisited: multiple equilibria in a complex climate model. Journal of Climate, 24 (4). pp. 992-1012. ISSN 1520-0442 doi: 10.1175/2010JCLI3580.1

Having said that the seaice-pkg can be run with the thermodynamics of the thsice-pkg, so that only the wind stress over ice remains to be determined (or prescribed), but that needs to be implemented.

Martin