[MITgcm-support] tidal forcing on 4-OB region

guopu at scsio.ac.cn guopu at scsio.ac.cn
Tue Sep 8 11:59:31 EDT 2015

Hello everyone,

Now I am trying to force a 3D region by tidal current. All 4 boundary are open and I prescribe the tidal current on these 4 boundary by OBCS, EXF (obcsEperiod=1200) and CAL packages. There are above-sea mountains and under-sea mountains in this region. Then I expect for the generation and propagation of internal waves by tidal forcing. Horizontal and vertical resolutions are 5km and 100m, DeltaT=10. Now I am wondering about 3 questions:

1. Should I give this region the initial tidal current field which is correspond with that on boundaries.

2. Could I use Orlanski or Sponge-layer on the boundaries to let waves go out or get weak.

3. Are there other better ways to force this region and then generate internal waves?

Thanks for your help.

Best,

Pu