[MITgcm-support] p /= 0 at top of atmosphere model

Jean-Michel Campin jmc at ocean.mit.edu
Wed Oct 28 15:32:52 EDT 2015

Hi Roland,

I have the impression that there is some confusion here:
#define ATMOSPHERIC_LOADING (as well as pkg/exf) is specific to an ocean set-up
and does not do much in an atmospheric set-up (which I though was the
 context of your question).

And regarding how to set-up to top atmospheric pressure to tTop > 0:
 since pTop = Ro_SeaLevel + SUM( delR )_k=1,Nr
you can adjust Ro_SeaLevel or the level pressure-thickness delR to
achieve pTop > 0.

It should work just fine with pure pressure-coord., but there are some parts
of the p*-coord code (I am thinking of geopotential calculation)
with select_rStar > 0 that assumes pTop = 0
and would not work is pTop is larger or same magnitude as delR(Nr).

Cheers,
Jean-Michel