[MITgcm-support] exch2 and autogenerated grids (llc, cs, etc.)

Jean-Michel Campin jmc at ocean.mit.edu
Thu Oct 22 23:34:34 EDT 2015

Hi Ryan,

There might be some confusion here:
1) this part of the documentation:
> http://mitgcm.org/public/r2_manual/latest/online_documents/node233.html
 is NOT up-to-date. No need to use any matlab script (driver.m) from
 MITgcm/utils/exch2/matlab-topology-generator to set-up the correct/customized
 exch2 topology. See the top of the 2 README files
 in: utils/exch2/matlab-topology-generator and in: utils/exch2/code-mods

 Setting SIZE.h and data.exch2 should be enough to get pkg/exch2 tile-topology
 set-up.
 But this is (mostly) independent from the the input grid-files
 which provides lat,lon position, grid-spacing and grid-cell area.

2) Regarding grid files (horizGridFile= ...) used with usingCurvilinearGrid=T,
 I am not aware of any MITgcm fortran code that would generate these files.
 Some set of grid-files are available (in some verification exp., also in
 MITgcm_contrib area) but otherwise you will need to generate these files.
 There has been few email exchange on support list related to how generate
 grid-files for cubed-sphere grid ; and you can take a look at the recently
 publish paper in GMD about ECCO-v4, with some information regarging the
 lap-lon-cap grid and grid-files.

Cheers,
Jean-Michel