[MITgcm-support] TEOS-10

Martin Losch Martin.Losch at awi.de
Wed Mar 18 06:26:03 EDT 2015

Hi Ryan,

TEOS-10 is not complete unfortunately, the computation of density and expansion/contraction coefficients works, but with this eos you need to re-interpret “theta” as “conservative temperature” (in degC) and “salt” as “absolute salinity” (in g/kg). The works fine, if you don’t have any bulk formulae that require surface (“in-situ” or, because at the surface, “potential”) temperature. This needs to be calculated from conservative temperature. I checked in parts of the gsw_toolbox, that does that (file gsw_teos10.F) but that is not used anywhere so far. You’d have to start implementing the computation of surface temperature from conservative temperature yourself.

Jean-Michel and I haven’t decided yet, what we think is the correct way of doing this, also because the documentation of TEOS-10 is a little foggy about details (after providing a myriad of constants with double precision: 16 digits). So far it appears to us, that if we add a bucket of freshwater at 10degC to seawater at in-situ 10degC and 0g/kg, we don’t get what we expect (i.e., sea water at 10degC).

Bottom line: you are very welcome to contribute to this (o:

Martin