[MITgcm-support] Using a sponge layer to relax temperature

Ryan Abernathey ryan.abernathey at gmail.com
Mon Mar 2 13:28:27 EST 2015

Just wanted to point out, as a possible alternative, the RBCS package.
http://mitgcm.org/public/r2_manual/latest/online_documents/node237.html

RBCS allows you to relax to model fields to some prescribed field (with a
variable relaxation rate) throughout the whole domain. It is somewhat
simpler to use and understand than OBCS.

If you don't need actual open boundary features (e.g. Orlanski, inflow /
outflow), RBCS is more than adequate for making sponge layers.

-Ryan