[MITgcm-support] Using a sponge layer to relax temperature

Stroman, Ashley acs08g at my.fsu.edu
Mon Mar 2 12:56:03 EST 2015

Hi Dustin.

I have two specific questions regarding my problem:

1.) Is it possible to use Orlanski for momentum on the boundaries, while also using a sponge layer to restore temperature to the initial conditions on the boundaries? I’m not sure if both are allowed, and I’ve had no luck finding this answer online.

2.) What is the difference between useOBCSsponge and OBCSsponge_Theta in the data.obcs file? My thought is that the latter is specifically used for theta while the former is not, but I am not 100% positive. There’s not much information on the latter parameter except that it turns on the theta sponge along the boundaries, so I’m not sure if the parameter is used, 1) what it specifically means, and 2) what is additionally required.

Thanks.
Ashley