[MITgcm-support] EXF/SEAICE Surface Heat Fluxes

Martin Losch Martin.Losch at awi.de
Tue Jun 16 11:53:38 EDT 2015

Hi Erick,

DImitris is right (of course), the code does not support what you want to do. But you might be able to hack it:

1. make exf take heat and fw fluxes by setting the appropriate CPP options in EXF_OPTIONS.h (there’s a table on how to do this) and modify your data.exf; there’s an example in verifcation/global_with_exf
2. have a look at seaice_ocean_budget.F where bascially the net heat flux is just passed to a local variable.
3. modify seaice_solve4temp.F (which is the equivalent of seaice_ocean_budget.F for the ocean, as far as the seaice model is concerned) to return whatever you like to the sea ice model (seaice_growth.F); I guess you need to do something for “F_ia” and keep the part for IcePenetSW. This is what I would do for a coupled model where the heat flux is computed by the atmospheric component.
4. you’ll probably have to see where cpp-flags like ALLOW_ATM_TEMP and ALLOW_DOWNWARD_RADIATION would make the code stop (or exclude code you want)

I am not saying it’s trivial, but you should be able to do it. I would not try to fiddle with lwdown etc, because it’s harder to control what the other components of the heat flux balance will do.

Martin