[MITgcm-support] R_STAR issue

Martin Losch Martin.Losch at awi.de
Fri Jun 12 06:59:28 EDT 2015

Hi Jonny,

I am not sure if the time step is the issue (because the error message does not say anything about that).

You will get further error messages in STDERR, usually the layer thick has become too thin (or thick). This can mean that
(a) the model explodes, possibly due to clf criteria violations and then the old thread suggests the right thing to do
(b) the free surface has enormous excursions. Often this happens in the presence of very thick ice (compared to the vertical cell thickness), or when there is a sea level drop because your somehow drain your domain (through open boundaries, say). In this case the smaller time step will not help.

If you don’t need rStar then you can just turn it of by setting select_rStar=0, in data

M.