[MITgcm-support] the calculation of the MXLDEPTH

Menemenlis, Dimitris (329D) Dimitris.Menemenlis at jpl.nasa.gov
Sun Jul 26 07:11:23 EDT 2015

look at MITgcm/model/src/calc_oce_mxlayer.F for available mixed layer definitions:

C--   Select which "method" to use:
       method = 0
       IF ( hMixCriteria.LT.0. ) method = 1
       IF ( hMixCriteria.GT.1. ) method = 2

       IF ( method.EQ.1 ) THEN

C--   First method :
C     where the potential density (ref.lev=surface) is larger than
C       surface density plus Delta_Rho = hMixCriteria * Alpha(surf)
C     = density of water which is -hMixCriteria colder than surface water
C     (see Kara, Rochford, and Hurlburt JGR 2000 for default criterion)

c       hMixCriteria  = -0.8 _d 0
c       dRhoSmall = 1. _d -6

…

       ELSEIF ( method.EQ.2 ) THEN

C--   Second method :
C     where the local stratification exceed the mean stratification above
C     (from surface down to here) by factor hMixCriteria

c       hMixCriteria  = 1.5 _d 0
c       dRhoSmall = 1. _d -2

If you use pkg/kpp, there is also output for “mixing” layer depth: KPPHBL