[MITgcm-support] Memory usage keeps increasing

Martin Losch Martin.Losch at awi.de
Fri Jul 17 05:31:47 EDT 2015

Hi Shantong,

as the MITgcm is (mostly) written in Fortran 77, there is no dynamic allocation of memory in the code (except for parts of the ptracers code), and as far as I can see, the increase in memory usage with time cannot have anything to do with the MITgcm itself.

Having said that, from my experience operating systems sometimes don’t allocate all memory in the beginning of the run, but only when it is really used. E.g., if you use the diagnostics package, then the memory associate with this package does not show up in “top” until it is actually used, so that can lead to an increase in memory some time after starting the model, but this is not a continuous increase, but a one time step up (probably at the time the diagnostic fields are written for the first time or similar. Honestly, I don’t know how that works exactly).

Martin