[MITgcm-support] oceanic forcing for sea ice package

Martin Losch Martin.Losch at awi.de
Thu Jul 2 04:18:59 EDT 2015

Anurag,

the sea ice model is so tightly coupled to the ocean model that it is actually more difficult to run the model without an ocean than with an ocean underneath. Please have a look at the verification examples that use the seaice-pkg and the thsice package, e.g. global_ocean.cs32x15, offline_exf_seaice, to see how it works.

The atmospheric forcing drives ice and ocean (global_ocean.cs32x15). If you want to prescribe the ocean surface layer with constant (in time) values you need to prescribe initial conditions and turn off any dynamics (offline_exf_seaice). If you want to prescribe time varying ocean fields, you’ll probaby have to use the offline package (tutorial_offline), but I have never used that together with seaice.

Martin