[MITgcm-support] Forcing dataset check

Martin Losch Martin.Losch at awi.de
Wed Jul 1 03:53:31 EDT 2015

Hi Jody,

I am not really the expert on this, but input files all need to be big endian, and so are the (mds) output files, independent of the endian-ness of your platform. Nowadays all (nearly all) compilers have a flag that converts to big endian somewhere internally. If you compiler does not have this flat, then you can use a _BYTESWAPIO flag in your build option file (see eg. linux_ia32_g77: DEFINES='-D_BYTESWAPIO -DWORDLENGTH=4 -DNML_EXTENDED_F77’). This flag turn one code (S/R MDS_BYTESWAPR4 or MDS_BYTESWAPR8) that does the conversion, and yes, I assume that there is a penalty, because this conversion is done every time a file is written or read.

Martin