[MITgcm-support] Help with TAF-generated adjoint

Dan Jones dcjones.work at gmail.com
Thu Feb 26 09:46:41 EST 2015

Hello all,

I am trying to use TAF 2.8.12 to generate an adjoint model based on a
regional Southern Ocean setup.  My cost function is simple (salinity at a
point), and my control variables are minimal (initial conditions only).
The forward code runs perfectly well, but when the adjoint code starts
running, I receive the following error:

 !!!!!!! PANIC !!!!!!! CATASTROPHIC ERROR
 !!!!!!! PANIC !!!!!!! in S/R BARRIER  myThid = 0  nThreads = 1

The "barrier" subroutine synchronizes  multiple threads in a multi-threaded
code.  I checked the taf_ad.log file for errors, and I found the following,
which may or may not be relevant:

 end   generate adjoint computations of : dynamics
TAF WARNING TAF RECOMPUTATION WARNING CALL_STMT ad_input_code.f:421715 in
forward_step
TAF WARNING  triggered by      :
myiter,detasdt,detawdt,etah,etan,hfac_surfs,hfac_surfw,hfacc,hfacs,hfacw,
pmepr,recip_hfacc
TAF WARNING  still to be recomputed : detasdt,detawdt
TAF ERROR   ad_input_code.f:421700 : cannot generate correct recomputations
for myiter,detahdt,hfac_surfc,
hfacc,hfacs,hfacw,obns,obnt,recip_hfacc,salt,theta
TAF ERROR   ad_input_code.f:421700 : ... due to unresolvable conflict for
apressure0,apressure1,aqh,aqh0,a
qh1,atemp,atemp0,atemp1,climsss0,climsss1,empmr0,empmr1,evap,hflux0,hflux1,lwdown,lwdown0,lwdown1,lwflux1,
pload,pload0,pload1,precip,precip0,precip1,qnet0,qnet1,qsw0,qsw1,runoff,runoff0,runoff1,saltflux0,saltflux
1,sflux0,sflux1,snowprecip,snowprecip0,snowprecip1,sss,sss0,sss1,sst,sst0,sst1,swdown,swdown0,swdown1,swfl
ux1,taux0,taux1,tauy0,tauy1,ustress0,ustress1,uwind0,uwind1,vstress0,vstress1,vwind0,vwind1,wspeed,wspeed0,wspeed1
 begin generate adjoint computations of : do_oceanic_phys

I included the "begin" and "end" statements for context.  I found this old
support thread, which is certainly relevant:

http://mitgcm.org/pipermail/mitgcm-support/2003-July/001087.html

Again, the forward code works well.  I'm not sure what to do next - could
someone give me some suggestions for debugging?  Thanks very much in
advance!

Many thanks,
Dan

Dr Dan Jones