[MITgcm-support] Albedo out of range

Anthony J. Coletti ajcolett at geo.umass.edu
Thu Feb 19 20:58:22 EST 2015

Hi all,

Another problem I was wondering if you guys could help me with.

I am starting a brand new run without any ice using the seaice and
thsice packages together.  About 8 seconds into my run, it crashes with
this error:

STOP THSICE_ALBEDO: albedo out of range

Here is my data.ice file:  I can't seem to find anything wrong

&THSICE_CONST
  Tf0kel  = 273.15,
#- with LANL albedo:
#albWarmSnow= 0.75,
#- for full ice-fraction :
#fracEnMelt = 0,
#iceMaskMin = 1,
#hThinIce   = 0.01,
#hThickIce  = 100.,
#- with fractional ice:
  iceMaskMin = 0.05,
  hiMax      = 10.,
  hsMax      = 10.,
  dhSnowLin = 0.1,
  fracEnFreez = 0.4,
  hNewIceMax = 1.,
  albColdSnow = 0.97,
  albWarmSnow = 0.83,
  tempSnowAlb = -5,
  albOldSnow = 0.60,
  albIceMax = 0.79,
  albIceMin = 0.20,
  hAlbIce = 0.44,
  hAlbSnow = 0.15,
#albIceMax  = 0.7,
#albIceMin  = 0.7,
  &

  &THSICE_PARM01
  StartIceModel=1,
  thSIceAdvScheme = 77,
  stressReduction=0,
#thSIce_taveFreq=2592000.,
#thSIce_diagFreq=2592000.,
#thSIce_monFreq=864000.,
  &

I just compiled today using the cray environment. I have used this same
exact set up before, so I am not sure what is going wrong.  Any help is
appreciated.

Best,
Anthony

--

Anthony J. Coletti
Climate System Research Center
Email: ajcolett at geo.umass.edu
http://blogs.umass.edu/ajcolett/
http://necsc.umass.edu/people/anthony-coletti

“For me, I am driven by two main philosophies: know more today about the world than I knew yesterday and lessen the  suffering of others. You'd be surprised how far that gets you.” ― Neil deGrasse Tyson