[MITgcm-support] changing number of processors

Jonny Williams Jonny.Williams at bristol.ac.uk
Mon Feb 9 10:05:25 EST 2015

Dear Angela, Matthew

Thanks you very much for your emails.

For your information I have now gotten round my initial problem of the NaNs
now by using a shorter timestep although I don't know why this would've
have made much difference...

Your discussion about the overlap parameters and run speed is of interest
to me because I found that a decrease in timestep by a factor of 4 and an
increase in the number of processors by a factor of 10 resulted in an
almost identical run speed!

My SIZE.h parameters were as follows...

PARAMETER (
     &           sNx =  75,
     &           sNy =  10,
     &           OLx =   4,
     &           OLy =   4,
     &           nSx =   1,
     &           nSy =   1,
     &           nPx =   6,
     &           nPy =   80,
     &           Nx  = sNx*nSx*nPx,
     &           Ny  = sNy*nSy*nPy,
     &           Nr  =   50)

... so (using the calculation from the earlier email) I have
(4+75+4)*(4+10+4)=1494 grid cells per process and (75*10/1494)=50% are
cells I care about.

This is really good to know but I got me to thinking, what is the utility
of these overlap cells in the first place?

Many thanks!

Jonny

jonny.williams at bristol.ac.uk