[MITgcm-support] Equation of state for extreme paleo scenarios

Martin Losch Martin.Losch at awi.de
Thu Dec 10 07:42:05 EST 2015

Hi Sonya,

maybe it makes sense to implement an EOS like this one: <http://water.usgs.gov/nrp/proj.bib/Publications/2011/naftz_millero_etal_2011.pdf>
?
there are also extensions to the “standard" TEOS-10:
<http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0011916409009886>

I see the only problem with the implemented EOSes in the accuracy going down very much as you leave the “Neptunian” range (of present day ocean salinities); Feistel reports errors of 1% for absolute S = 70g/kg. I wouldn’t expect any numerical issues.

Martin