[MITgcm-support] Sponge BCs and passive tracers?

Ryan Abernathey ryan.abernathey at gmail.com
Mon Aug 10 14:21:49 EDT 2015

Sonia,

We do things like your case 2 all the time. The key is the RBCS package.
http://mitgcm.org/public/r2_manual/latest/online_documents/node237.html

RBCS is a general framework for relaxing any model variables (including
state variables and also ptracers) to an prescribed target concentration.
The relaxation rates can also be functions of space. This is a very
powerful tool and, in fact, many sponge layer configurations can be
implemented using RBCS rather than OBCS.

Here is an example of a data.rbcs file that shows how to relax ptracers.
https://bitbucket.org/ryanaberanthey/channel_moc/src/a43f0ef00dab442b81a7e8e4af70db0103ad162b/GCM/input/data.rbcs?at=master
The ptracers stuff is all in the &RBCS_PARM02 section and is commented out,
but it should be clear enough.

Let me know if this works out for you.

Best,
Ryan