[MITgcm-support] error with "No. of procs not equal to nPx*nPy "

Christoph Voelker christoph.voelker at awi.de
Thu Apr 30 04:33:11 EDT 2015

Dear Li Zhi,

this indicates that you actually ran the model on only one processor, as
would happen when you
directly call the executable in your job script (i.e. you have one line
just saying 'mitgcmuv'). I suspect that is what you have done.
When you compile MITgcm to run on several processors with MPI, you need
to call it through mpirun, like in
mpirun -np 16 mitgcmuv
The exact form of the call depends somewhat on the machine that you are
running on, so my advice is to have a look into the man page of mpirun
on your system.

Cheers, Christoph

On 4/30/15 10:10 AM, 李志远 wrote:
> From: Li zhi <oceanlizy at 163.com <mailto:oceanlizy at 163.com>>
> To: MITgcm-support at mitgcm.org <mailto:MITgcm-support at mitgcm.org>
> Subject : error with "No. of procs not equal to nPx*nPy "
> my dear all ;
>       when I run my model ,an error occured in the STDERR file :
> (PID.TID 0000.0001) *** ERROR *** EEBOOT_MINIMAL: No. of procs=     1
> not equal to nPx*nPy=    16
> (PID.TID 0000.0001) *** ERROR *** EEDIE: earlier error in
> multi-proc/thread setting
> (PID.TID 0000.0001) *** ERROR *** PROGRAM MAIN: ends with fatal Error
> my size.h file is bellow:
>   &           sNx =   168,
>      &           sNy =   46,
>      &           OLx =   3,
>      &           OLy =   3,
>      &           nSx =   1,
>      &           nSy =   1,
>      &           nPx =   2,
>      &           nPy =   8,
>      &           Nx  = sNx*nSx*nPx,
>      &           Ny  = sNy*nSy*nPy,
>      &           Nr  = 36)
> I defined 16 processes in my size.h ,why it occured an error in the
> STDERR file  ??
> thank you !
> lizhi

Christoph Voelker
Alfred Wegener Institute for Polar and Marine Research
Am Handelshafen 12
27570 Bremerhaven, Germany
e: Christoph.Voelker at awi.de
t: +49 471 4831 1848