[MITgcm-support] Forcing theta within gchem

Martin Losch Martin.Losch at awi.de
Wed Apr 22 05:10:07 EDT 2015

Hi Roland,

the “generic” place to add something to the forcing of theta (i.e. the tendency terms of theta) is in “apply_forcing.F” (old code used external_forcing.F), or since your a dealing with latent heat, external_forcing_surf.F

gchem_forcing_sep is called at the end of the timestep, so you need to save the forcing terms for theta that you compute there for the next time step (which is a pain, because it would require saving them in the restart/pickup file) and then apply it in apply_forcing_t
If you need to use the gchem-package for thermal forcing, why don’t you do your calculations in gchem_calc_tendencies, which is called in the beginning of the time step (before thermodynamics, where temp_integrate and apply_forcing_t are called.

Martin