[MITgcm-support] documentation for pkg/smooth

Matthew Mazloff mmazloff at ucsd.edu
Mon Apr 6 20:34:13 EDT 2015

Hi Dimitris

I don't use Gael's standard smoother. I use:

# define ALLOW_SMOOTH2D
# define ALLOW_SMOOTH_CTRL2D
# define ALLOW_SMOOTH3D
# define ALLOW_SMOOTH_CTRL3D
# undef ALLOW_SMOOTH_CORREL3D
# undef ALLOW_SMOOTH_CORREL2D

Gael's implementation of Weaver and Courtier 2001 is rigorous. However, in practice, I choose not to use it for a couple reasons and I am happy to discuss if you want. But the primary thing I don't like is the normalization stuff. Also, I find my way more straightforward. The downfall is that when implemented correctly Weaver and Courtier 2001 should be variance preserving and my method is not. (I simply run the diffusion equation on the ctrls.)

Anyway, to help try to address your question: a few years ago I turned Gael's smoother script into matlab to understand what it was doing. The caveat being that this may now be a bit out of date from the way the smoother now works. But it may help you -- so find it attached.

And regarding my opinion on smoothing: It is vital, and Gael's way is great to use. But I highly recommend you make the normalization field manually because it can easily introduce unwanted structure.

Matt

ps> one thing about my way, should you choose to use it, is that it changes the smoother with respect to
smooth2Dnbt(1)=5000
smooth2D_Lx0(1)=100000.
smooth2D_Ly0(1)=100000.
because there is a missing sqrt of smooth2Dnbt in the main code tree