[MITgcm-support] Free exchange across OBC

Neil Fraser Neil.Fraser at sams.ac.uk
Thu Apr 2 10:24:45 EDT 2015

Hi Everyone,

I am running as experiment to study the effects of certain wind events on the stratification inside my domain. My domain has 3 open boundaries, with the northern edge bounded by coastline.

My problem is this: if I keep the boundary forcing constant (with or without the sponge method), the stratification at the boundary is then constant in time and affects any changes in the stratification of the interior. However, if I prescribe time-varying boundary conditions I must assume prior knowledge of how the stratification changes with these wind events, which is exactly what I am trying to study.

Is there a configuration allowing free exchange between inside the domain and outside? i.e. allow water to advect in and out of the domain, with velocities determined by  pressure gradients between boundary points and adjacent interior points, and with T and S of any inflow matching that of the boundary on the previous timestep.

Right now I have Orlanski and Balance turned on, and I am seeing some unwanted boundary effects propagating into the domain.

Any help greatly appreciated,

Cheers,

Neil
The Scottish Association for Marine Science (SAMS) is registered in Scotland as a Company Limited by Guarantee (SC009292) and is a registered charity (9206). SAMS has two actively trading wholly owned subsidiary companies: SAMS Research Services Ltd (SC224404) and SAMS Ltd (SC306912). All Companies in the group are registered in Scotland and share a registered office at Scottish Marine Institute, Oban Argyll PA37 1QA. The content of this message may contain personal views which are not the views of SAMS unless specifically stated. Please note that all email traffic is monitored for purposes of security and spam filtering. As such individual emails may be examined in more detail.