[MITgcm-support] a problem in compiling MITgcm using intel compiler

Yu Zhang yusophie.zhang at gmail.com
Thu Apr 2 05:26:17 EDT 2015

Dear All,

I right now have a very weird problem in compiling MITgcm. I am using
build_option profile linux_amd64_ifort11 with openmpi-intel compiler. The
message following running genmake command is as follows:

[zhangyu at polaris build]$ /lustre/home/zhangyu/MITgcm/tools/genmake2
-mods=/lustre/home/zhangyu/MITgcm/verification/front_relax/code -mpi -of
/lustre/home/zhangyu/MITgcm/tools/build_options/linux_amd64_ifort11_polaris_Lu

GENMAKE :

A program for GENerating MAKEfiles for the MITgcm project.

   For a quick list of options, use "genmake2 -h"

or for more detail see the Developer's HOWTO manual at:

   http://mitgcm.org/public/docs.html

===  Processing options files and arguments  ===

  getting local config information:  none found

Warning: ROOTDIR was not specified ; try using a local copy of MITgcm found
at "../../.."

  getting OPTFILE information:

    using
OPTFILE="/lustre/home/zhangyu/MITgcm/tools/build_options/linux_amd64_ifort11_polaris_Lu"

  getting AD_OPTFILE information:

    using AD_OPTFILE="../../../tools/adjoint_options/adjoint_default"

  check makedepend (local: 0, system: 0, 0)

  Turning on MPI cpp macros

===  Checking system libraries  ===

  Do we have the system() command using mpif77...  yes

  Do we have the fdate() command using mpif77...  yes

  Do we have the etime() command using mpif77...  yes

  Can we call simple C routines (here, "cloc()") using mpif77...  no

  Can we unlimit the stack size using mpif77...  no

  Can we register a signal handler using mpif77...  no

  Can we use stat() through C calls...  no

  Can we create NetCDF-enabled binaries...  no

  Can we create LAPACK-enabled binaries...  no

  Can we call FLUSH intrinsic subroutine...  yes

===  Setting defaults  ===

  Adding MODS directories:
/lustre/home/zhangyu/MITgcm/verification/front_relax/code

  Making source files in eesupp from templates

  Making source files in pkg/exch2 from templates

  Making source files in pkg/regrid from templates

===  Determining package settings  ===

  getting package dependency info from  ../../../pkg/pkg_depend

  getting package groups info from      ../../../pkg/pkg_groups

  checking list of packages to compile:

    using
PKG_LIST="/lustre/home/zhangyu/MITgcm/verification/front_relax/code/packages.conf"

    before group expansion packages are: gfd gmredi diagnostics

    replacing "gfd" with:  mom_common mom_fluxform mom_vecinv
generic_advdiff debug mdsio rw monitor

    after group expansion packages are:  mom_common mom_fluxform mom_vecinv
generic_advdiff debug mdsio rw monitor gmredi diagnostics

  applying DISABLE settings

  applying ENABLE settings

    packages are:  debug diagnostics generic_advdiff gmredi mdsio
mom_common mom_fluxform mom_vecinv monitor rw

  applying package dependency rules

    packages are:  debug diagnostics generic_advdiff gmredi mdsio
mom_common mom_fluxform mom_vecinv monitor rw

  Adding STANDARDDIRS='eesupp model'

  Searching for *OPTIONS.h files in order to warn about the presence

    of "#define "-type statements that are no longer allowed:

    found CPP_EEOPTIONS="../../../eesupp/inc/CPP_EEOPTIONS.h"

    found CPP_OPTIONS="../../../model/inc/CPP_OPTIONS.h"

  Creating the list of files for the adjoint compiler.

===  Creating the Makefile  ===

  setting INCLUDES

  Determining the list of source and include files

  Writing makefile: Makefile

  Add the source list for AD code generation

  Making list of "exceptions" that need ".p" files

  Making list of NOOPTFILES

  Add rules for links

  Adding makedepend marker

===  Done  ===

Interesting thing is I can find mpif77 and mpicc using "which" command.
What is more interesting is when on a different computer (MAC or windows)
and logged onto the same account on the same cluster, the genmake step goes
smoothly without those annoying nos. I have no idea what's wrong here, do
you guys have any clue? Thanks a lot for your help.

Best regards,

Yu (Sophie) Zhang
Key laboratory of Physical Oceanography (POL)
Ocean University of China
Office phone number: 011-86-532-82032071