[MITgcm-support] instability with shelf ice package

Dustin Carroll dcarroll at uoregon.edu
Tue Sep 30 10:27:58 EDT 2014

Hi Liu,

This sounds like a problem with your shelfice load anomaly. How are you calculating your load anomaly file (the pressure load anomaly at the bottom of your ice shelf)? This can be an issue, especially If you have complex topography under your ice shelf. If your pload doesn’t lead to a balanced initial state, you will have large adjustments of the free surface leading to CLF violations.

As a test, turn off the turbulent transfer coefficients (set gamma_T/S = 0 in data.shelfice). If your model is still blowing up immediately it’s probably your initial conditions. Look at advcfl_uvel, advcfl_vvel, and advcfl_wvel, in your STDOUT file and see if they go to >1 and then return nan's right away.

Another way to debug this problem is to set your dumpfreq to the first few time steps. If you see spurious mixing and instabilities right away (especially near topography) thats a good clue the model isn’t adjusting well to the pressure anomaly created by your ice shelf.

KPP works with the shelfice pkg but underneath the ice shelf it only uses the internal instability part of the scheme (based on the Richardson flux number). This is similar to "implicit diffusion” — you are losing all the extra features of KPP. You can try a simple convective adjustment scheme (cAdjFreq = -1) while testing.

Cheers,
Dustin