[MITgcm-support] initial velocity field for staggered grid

Martin Losch Martin.Losch at awi.de
Wed Sep 24 08:04:14 EDT 2014

Hi there,

I am sorry for the confusion, I mixed up east and west. In more general terms, I would interpolate my boundary data to the velocity grid point ***inside*** of the tracer grid point. In your example you’d interpolate to 96E (if the tracer index OB_Iwest=1 is a boundary point) for the western boundary (left hand side of the domain) and to 99E for the eastern boundary (if the tracer index OB_Ieast=5=Nx is a boundary point). I think the model then copies theses fields to 96E (and 95E) and 99E (and 100E), respectively (where the positions in parentheses are the “less important” ones, less important, because these points are generally not used). See obcs_apply_uv.F for details.
There is the option OBCS_u1_adv_T/S to make the model use 1st order upwind at the boundaries. In this case you only need the “interior” velocity gridpoints (96E and 99E) and the exterior points (95E and 100E) are not used.

Martin