[MITgcm-support] OBCS errors in OB location vs Mask

michael schaferkotter schaferk at bellsouth.net
Sat Sep 13 07:46:47 EDT 2014

Liu;

looks like you/ll need a more 'irregular' specification of the open boundary, as in OB_Jsouth example (from an experiment) below.

(PID.TID 0000.0001) // =======================================================
(PID.TID 0000.0001) // Parameter file "data.obcs"
(PID.TID 0000.0001) // =======================================================
(PID.TID 0000.0001) ># Open-boundaries
(PID.TID 0000.0001) > &OBCS_PARM01
(PID.TID 0000.0001) > OB_Ieast=720*-1,
(PID.TID 0000.0001) > OB_Iwest=720*1,
(PID.TID 0000.0001) > OB_Jnorth=1036*-1,
(PID.TID 0000.0001) > OB_Jsouth=332*1,155*0,166*1,24*0,359*1,

the model is calculating the mask and comparing hFac[WS] array sections to the corresponding namelist entries, and warning that there is
some disagreement.

you can begin to study the proper set of namelist entries by looking at (after running the model one timestep to get the files hFac[WS].

      OBE = int(hFacW(NNX  ,1:NNY,1))
      OBW = int(hFacW(2    ,1:NNY,1))
      OBN = int(hFacS(1:NNX,NNY  ,1))
      OBS = int(hFacS(1:NNX,2    ,1))

the namelist entries are simply a run length encoding of the array sections, with the added wrinkle that the "1s" are '-'  on east and north.

iirc, the mask arrays are printed in the STDOUT files.
If you are using mpi, then there will be one STDOUT file per tile. to use that information is cumbersome.

michael