[MITgcm-support] MITgcm-support Digest, Vol 135, Issue 8

Wang, Xiaochun (329D-Affiliate) xiaochun.wang at jpl.nasa.gov
Mon Sep 8 19:47:49 EDT 2014

@ Dimitris : I have provided tidal forcing in code/external_Forcing.F as it
was a bit easier comapred to its counterpart (using open bounday horizontal
velocity (OPHV) forcings). In OPHV forcing, velocity at all the vertical
levels are unknown to me in an open ocean and also large number of files
are to be made for 30-50 days simulation. I have never tried to force the
model with "surface atmospheric pressure".

When the  open boundary tidal forcing is used, the depth average normal velocity
and sea surface height from a larger domain tidal model  is used.  You donot
need to generate  a  30-50day tidal boundary current for including tide.
The benifit of including tides this way is that you can compare your model tides
with observation more easily for regional applications.

Xiaochun Wang