[MITgcm-support] coldstart option for m1qn3

Daniel Goldberg dngoldberg at gmail.com
Sun Oct 26 06:15:37 EDT 2014

Hi Martin

Thanks for the response. I was referring to this implementation, it is the
only one I have ever used in fact.

I have tried this out -- i.e. the control files for iteration 19 contained
"bad" values, and so I set optimcycle back to 18 and re-ran optim.x with
the appropriate cost files and coldStart=.true, no other changes to
data.optim (except fmin, see below).

It turns out that I *did* in fact need to update fmin to a value smaller
than the next lowest cost function value (actually I am not sure if it is
the next smallest, or just the previous), as I got the typical message one
gets if fmin .gt. fc.

Thanks
Dan

em: D <dgoldber at mit.edu>an.Goldberg at ed.ac.uk