[MITgcm-support] Negative concentrations in pTracer

Menemenlis, Dimitris (329D) Dimitris.Menemenlis at jpl.nasa.gov
Thu Nov 27 15:42:20 EST 2014

Roland, is that really a "d8" or "d-8" for the negative numbers?
If "d8", answer below is not relevant.

If "d-8", I think it's probably just normal advection noise.  See, for example,
http://mitgcm.org/public/r2_manual/latest/online_documents/node72.html
http://mitgcm.org/public/r2_manual/latest/online_documents/node81.html

Typically advection schemes with flux limiters, as is 77, should remove or
minimize this type of overshoot, but maybe not perfectly so.  You could try
using 33 or 7, see if it helps get rid of undershoot.