[MITgcm-support] python analysis tools

Ryan Abernathey ryan.abernathey at gmail.com
Fri Nov 7 14:58:36 EST 2014

Gael's gcmfaces software is obviously an extremely valuable tool for
analyzing the latest generation of MITgcm simulations on complex grids. It
is an awesome contribution that has enabled many people to do science with
ECCO products who otherwise would have been intimidated by the technical
challenges.

Without entering into a debate on the relative merits of matlab vs. python,
I wanted to ask whether anyone is working on a python package with
capabilities similar to gcmfaces. (Oliver?)

I have written some generic analysis tools for mitgcm simulations in python
https://bitbucket.org/ryanaberanthey/mitgcmdata
but they can't deal with lat-lon-cap or other complex grids. This is a
project I would consider tackling over the next year, but not if it is
already underway elsewhere.

Thanks,
Ryan