[MITgcm-support] Nonlinear free surface and the adjoint

Patrick Heimbach heimbach at MIT.EDU
Thu May 29 18:39:33 EDT 2014

Hi Christopher,

there shouldn’t be too many recomputation warnings.
The devil is in the details, as usual, so would be good to know what
specific warnings you get.
As a good starting point of a set of CPP options, take a look at either
MITgcm/verification/global_ocean.cs32x15/code_ad/CPP_OPTIONS.h
or at the ECCO v4 config. in
MITgcm_contrib/gael/verification/global_oce_llc90/code/CPP_OPTIONS.h

Both use NLFS as well as z* (zstar) in forward and adjoint
(the former being a more lightweight configuration that is tested
on a nightly basis).

An important part is to disable the SIGMA_CODE,
which we haven’t pushed through TAF (nor OpenAD) yet, i.e. set:
#define NONLIN_FRSURF
# undef DISABLE_RSTAR_CODE
#define DISABLE_SIGMA_CODE

-Patrick